Monday 30 April 2007

Singapore: Botanic Gardens and then some

25-26Apr07:

Had my gentle early wake up call from Gus and Natalie who were sharing the room. They actually followed through with the offer to wake me up so that I could head off with them to the zoo (they're both vets coincidently, volunteering at the zoo). A very sweet gesture from them, however, due to shear laziness I hung back and took my time to get ready.

This lead to talking to another "roomy" - Adrian. A pilot for Malaysian Airlines who was only bunking on a bed at the hostel because there wasn't enough room at his relatives place. A KUL native with a Sri Lankan background, the conversation ranged from Sri Lankan and SE Asian current affairs, a pilots life, travelling, adopting, (insert Ule Brenner's voice) ecsetera-ecsetera-ecsetera, to attending his aunties funeral service IN the actual relatives' apartment on the 6th floor of the apartment block! The undertakers need to be paid a surcharge per floor for carrying down the coffin!!! They must use the stairs, the coffin won't fit in the elevators!!!


First attraction of the day was the Botanic Gardens. A lovely oasis in the city, beautifully manicured. I went a bit mental with the photos in the National Orchid Garden. So many colours and variety of orchids, bromeliads, tropical and cool climate orchids. You could spend hours there, it's wonderful.



Reluctantly leaving the Gardens I made my way to the Fountain of Wealth. Apparently it's the biggest single fountain in the world - Feng shui style, but it was dry during the time I went to visit :-(.

So moving on from that dissapointment, I strolled down to the Asian Civilisation Museum. Apart from the obvious museum tidbits, the following memorabilia caught my eye:


The following are my only pictures of the Singapore skyline just before a storm. Shame the colours are pretty murky

Had a relaxed last day, ran some erands, before heading off to the Budget terminal for my next destination

Click here for Singapore photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great rubber duckie. I wonder why that caught your eye. Rubber duckie your the one :o)