Wednesday 25 April 2007

Singapore: Orchard Road / Little India

Ok, Observations and events on 24April:

* Singaporeans are pedestrian trained very well. They've got the queuing system for taxis and buses down-pat, the only thing with the latter is that they don't give back change if you don't have the right money. Also, it's so easy to commute on the MRT. The streets are very orderly, I don't think I've not heard a horn beep yet. Also, the air is SO clean and public amenities are so user friendly.

* Went to check out the tourist belt today. Orchard road was busy as expected with tourists and shopaholics weaving in and out of designer stores. From what I can see, the fashion retail here is in the same season as the UK. Everything I've looked at I'm sure I've seen in a London High St store, the only difference is that here the clothes seem more petite and 'girly' even though it's the same cut.

* Orchard Rd lead to me meandering towards Serangoon Rd - Little India area, thanks to the suggestion of a random guy I walked with and helped me with directions. Though random orchard road guy (RORG) started asking alot of questions, and before I knew it we exchanged numbers and he was really keen to meet up to "perhaps" watch the cricket world cup (which I secretly thought was a good idea as Oz was playing S.Africa to get into the finals).

Anyway, Little India was marvellous. It's a place of an "older" time with a backdrop of highrises. It's streets lined with local fruit and vege stalls, usual phone and electrical trade shops, mini-marts, lots of textile stores displaying incredible fabrics and saris, female accessory stores where rows of bangles/bracelets line the entire wall - a colourful heaven!



My primary reason for venturing into Little India though was to eat, so all the while I was on a mission to find a local eatery. Having asked for advice in a female accessory store, I was pointed in the right direction, and finally settled on Sri Beemmavillas. The two elderly running the store were an absolute treat. With their broken english, they were more than accommodating and their food was delish.

No comments: